Decorating during the rental can be tricky because you have to work with what you have. Most tenants would rather live with white walls and minor inconveniences than risk their deposit or break their lease. Although a lease is very temporary, you shouldn’t just live in a house, you should make it just that: your house. You can customize your rental with little effort, not a lot of money and without breaking any rules. Live in a space that speaks to you and makes you feel good, do so by adding some personal touches to your bland rental property today! Read on for insider tips and tricks.
Try these 10 decorating tips today:
- Removable wallpaper: Nobody likes wallpapering, not even homeowners! Removable wallpaper is an easy way to spice up any space with minimal effort and minimal money. It’s also a great way to personalize a space without causing permanent damage. If the whole room requires too much effort and money, opt for a single wall instead.
- Command strips and hooks: Instead of ruining walls by drilling holes, opt for non-damaging Command strips. You will be able to set up artwork and photographs and hang hooks. When your contract is complete, simply pull the tape and voila: a damage-free wall.
- Paint the walls in neutral colors: What many people don’t realize is that you can often paint in a rental, as long as the color is muted, that is. Most landlords are happy when a tenant decides to refresh the walls – it improves the space and doesn’t cost them a penny!
- Improve the lighting: Since you can’t do major renovations, it’s important to express your style through furniture. Most rental properties will come with the most basic light fixtures, so you’ll want to add your own lighting to the space.
- Change bulbs: Devices matter, but can you guess what’s even more important? The bulb! Light bulbs are one of the easiest home improvements and they can totally change a space. Create an atmosphere you want to live in with cool-toned, warm-toned, soft, or daylight bulbs.
- Get new curtains: Curtains are another super easy solution! Throw away those ugly vertical blinds that come with the rental and hang some warm, soft curtains over any window in your home.
- Changing the shower head: Once you realize how easy it is to change your shower head, you’ll wish you had done it right after you moved in. Improved water pressure and overall appearance make this solution so attractive. Be sure to keep the one that comes with the place to redeem once you leave.